Cannondale’s name and the Cannon Village section of Wilton originated with the prominence of the Cannon family in 19th Century Wilton. The Cannon Store started in 1790 and by the middle of the 19th Century, the area surrounding it was referred to as Cannon or Cannon’s.

The opening of a train station and later a post office led to the name Cannon’s Station. Constant confusion with Canaan, Conn., led Samuel Miller to petition to have Cannon’s name changed to Cannondale in 1915.